Monday, March 4, 2013

Monday Musings

 
Here's something you may not know about me.  I didn't learn how to read until I was 7 years old.  My mom would get so frustrated with me because I wasn't learning!  Then one day I picked up a book.  It might have been a Dr. Seuss one...I can't remember for sure.
 
After that I was a reading machine!  Anne of Green Gables was one of the first novels I read other than kid books like Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Pop, The Berenstain Bears, etc.  I had already watched the movie, now it was time to read the book!  I read all 8 books in that series.  I laughed and cried right along Anne.  I felt like I was right there beside her through everything she went through --- good and bad.
 
I then started reading more.  I love reading classics like To Kill a Mockingbird (my favorite!), A Christmas Carol, Little Women, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, etc.  I have read 90% of Janette Oke, I love Gilbert Morris, and other books like Redeeming Love.  I just love to read!
 
You know how every kid has a time in their life when they think about running away?  Well, when I would think about running away I would always imagine living in a library.
 
I am so thankful I married someone who loves to read just as much as I do.  Paul has been blowing through books lately.  He has read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Great Expectations, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Invisible Man.. just to name a few.
 
Paul read The Picture of Dorian Gray right before Titus was born.  After he was born and everyone had left and it was just Paul and I, he told me all about it.  I was exhausted but couldn't help but listen to him tell me his thoughts about the book.  Then he said to me, "This is why we're best friends.  We can talk about books and neither one of us gets bored."  He is so right!
 
I hope Zoe, Max, and Titus have the same passion for reading that their parents have!
 
Last week I found myself in Salvation Army with my mother in law.  I almost immediately went to the back wall where they keep the books.  This time I had my kids in mind.  I came out of there with 10 books.  Some of them were books that my brothers and sisters and I read when we were little.  I brought them home and Zoe and Max climbed into my lap and we read them over, and over, and over and...  It made me so happy!
 
It is a lot harder for me to read since I am so busy taking care of the kids all day.  It seems like when the kids are in bed and I pick up a book, I barely get through the first chapter before I realize I have fallen asleep!  But at least I can read to my children.  That gives me so much joy!
 
When was the last time you read a book?  If you're reading one right now, what is it?

5 comments:

  1. HA! You're gonna laugh. I'm reading Volume 20 of a children's encyclopedia called "Book of Knowledge." I'm pretty sure I got this from the basement of Grandma Bunny's house about 30 years ago. It was copyrighted about 1920. It's possible it was Grandma Bunny's when she was a child. I don't know why I only ended up with this one volume. It's very interesting, actually. It's amazing how much has changed in our world since this was written. I was just reading about these bulky, 150 pound suits deep sea divers would put on to explore shipwrecks and repair boats under water. The guys were lowered by a heavy rope and had air tubs that was connected to the big, heavy helmet with glass windows. It's pretty funny to see the pictures, but it was cutting edge technology at the time. :-)
    I like to read, but seldom take the time out to just sit and read. I always feel like I should be doing something more "productive." Then I end up playing games on my computer. I'd be better off reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm trying to read the 3rd book in a 4 part series by Andrew Peterson. The Wingfeather Saga.... It's a "weird" set of books, but I can't help but like it :) He is a wonderful Christian song writer, so Dave and I thought we would give his fiction a shot. I'm glad we did. I better get cracking! Since book 4 is being written now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments! I love to see what others are reading. :) I am in the middle of way too many books! I can't read one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOPS - ugh* sigh* I only wanted to correct something! but I guess once you publish it - there's No.Going.Back! :o I have been reading some of A.W.Tozer's books. I read "The Pusuit of God: and "The Knowledge of the Holy" I am in the middle of "Man, Gods Dwelling Place" I enjoy his books - I think he died in the 1950's...
      Take care sweetie!!

      Delete

Did this post make you :-) or warm your ♥? Did the ♫♪♫ make you wanna boogie? If so, please let us know by giving feedback! We really appreciate it.